domingo, 26 de julio de 2015

"Do you have any Regret?"





"Do you have any regret?" 
It's a funny question. Something that one avoids to think about, or that you think about too much. And this question did put me in a bit of a conundrum. 

Regret is such an ugly thing. A dead weight we carry on our shoulders like a burden. We cannot let it go because, in a way, it defines us. At some point, we start to look into everything we do while still thinking of the regret we might fear. Like a chain around our neck, we grow used to it. Until we finally even forget it's presence until it's time to make a decision. 

And when we finally are able to free ourselves of it, we can still recall it. Like a phantom limb. 

When I think of regrets, I think of this. Of the weight of past decisions and the hopelesness of not being able to change those things. The funny thing is, we always regret the most silly things.

"I wish I would have said something else."

"I shouldn't have done that."

"I wish I wouldn't have listened to that person."

Shouldn't and wouldn't, are always there. Like nails on a coffin for our heart. We fear, we feel remorse, we feel guilt, we regret. What a funny word that holds so many meanings. And yet, not any of the synonims will completely encompass what it actually means to a person.
There's even a little hate to it. 
We hate ourselves a little bit. 
For not being able to let go. 
For being "stupid". 
For "caring too much". 
For being "insensitive". 

What a sad little word. 

But I also think that things are not so bad. It might seem like a hopeless situation, and maybe it is. And yet, because I still live, I can make it better.
As long as I am alive, there are things I can change. 

Past has come and gone, and sometimes you'll find that "the ship has already set sail". That, cannot be changed. Regret will leave a wound. A small token of what was and will never be. A scar that will change your view on friendships, love, family, even the future at large. 
And here, we all must learn to let go of that weight. Change what you can change, and try to find happiness. 

Life is too short to feel regret. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario